On June 4th, 2021 FDA approved Wegovy (Semaglutide) for weight loss. The approved dosage is 2.4 mg per week. It has been given approval for weight management in adults who are obese or overweight. The other condition for its use is that the person who is going to use the injection must have at least one high body fat related issue like Type-2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure or High Cholesterol. Ozempic or Semaglutide (Wegovy) has been approved for use only by people with obesity (BMI ≥30) or excess weight (BMI ≥27). When you are using Semaglutide, then you are advised to have a proper diet and exercise routine so you can be able to control high Blood Sugar levels. Semaglutide(Wegovy) can also be used by people with heart disease to reduce the risk of life-threatening diseases like stroke or heart attack.
So my friend, in this article about Semaglutide (Wegovy) or Ozempic for weight loss, you will get to know every detail of what is Semaglutide, who can use the injection, and what about the Oral Semaglutide for weight loss, the cost, usage, reviews, side effects and many other things.
Table Of Contents
What Is Semaglutide
Semaglutide or Wegovy is a medicine to treat Type-2 Diabetes. But it is also effective for long-term weight management. Semaglutide comes under the brand name “OZEMPIC“. It is an injectable medicine. The medicine has been developed by Danish pharmaceutical company Novo Nordisk. Ozempic was first approved by FDA in 2017 to treat only Diabetes. To treat weight loss or for long-term weight management, the Food & Drug Administration of The USA approved Semagluide Injection for adults in June 2021. This Semaglutide injection is sold under the brand name Wegovy. Wegovy(Semaglutide) is a weight-loss version of Ozempic.
How Does It Work
Glucagon-Like Peptide also known as GLP-1 is a natural hormone produced in our Gut. It is released in response to the food we ate. It reduces appetite and causes the release of insulin in the bloodstream. Semaglutide acts like the GLP-1 hormone. It increases insulin secretion in a simple language, you can understand that the GLP-1 hormone increases the production and release of Insulin in our system.
When our body doesn’t produce enough insulin then you feel many diseases attacking your body like constant thirst, increased urination, excessive hunger, always you feel tired (lack of energy), wounds that heal more slowly than is typical and many more. A group of all these diseases are called Diabetes.
So, in short, when your body is not able to produce enough insulin you are at the risk of getting or already have got Diabetes. And here comes the Semaglutide (Wegovy) which acts & works like a GLP-1 hormone and increases insulin secretion.
Apart from this, GLP-1 also target the area of the brain which controls food intake and appetite. And suppress the appetite. Semaglutide also slows down the movement of food from the stomach to the small intestine. This process boosts the feeling of fullness. Thus, you feel full faster and for longer hours. And this results in eating less. And this is how Semaglutide helps in weight loss.
Oral Semaglutide is available under the brand name Rybelsus. The medicine got approval from FDA in September 2019. It is the first oral GLP-1 receptor agonist medicine that got approval from The USA Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of Type-2 Diabetes. FDA has approved the use of medicine adjunct to diet and exercise. The product comes in 3 mg, 7 mg and 14 mg tablets.
If you want to take Semaglutide then there are some precautions that you must consider before taking this. A list of possible precautions is given below.
- DO NOT TAKE Semaglutide or any other medication without consulting your doctor.
- If you have any kind of allergy then you must tell your doctor before prescription. Because the product may contain some ingredients which can create an issue and increase your allergy.
- If you have a history of some disease, or you were on some medication before then tell your doctor about it first.
- You should limit the intake of alcohol when you are on Semaglutide medication.
- This is not for pregnant women and children.
- Whenever you feel uncomfortable, contact your doctor.
Apart from these precautions, there are also some medical conditions that people already have before starting Semaglutide(Wegovy). The official website of Wegovy, mentions some illnesses, and if you have any of these please consult with your doctor before taking Semaglutide and let your doctor decide whether you should use Semaglutide or not.
- In the past or in the present time you have any issue with your pancreas or kidneys
- Suffering from Type-2 Diabetes.
- The past or present experience of diabetic retinopathy.
- Had or have any kind of mental health issues like depression, suicidal thoughts or any mental health symptoms.
- If you are pregnant or planning to have a child in near future then you should not use Wegovy or Semaglitide as medication may harm your baby. According to the official website, you should stop using Semaglutide at least 2 months before becoming pregnant.
- This same applies to breastfeeding mothers, too.
Who Should Not Use
The official website of Wegovy, clearly mentions that in certain conditions, people must not take Semaglutide. If you are also suffering from any of the below-mentioned situations then you are not advised to use Semaglutide.
- If you or any of your family members ever had Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma (MTC). It is a type of Thyroid Cancer.
- Or if you or any of your family members have a history of Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN-2). This is an Endocrine System condition.
- Or if you have had or currently have any kind of serious allergic reaction to semaglutide or any of the ingredients of Wegovy.
If you have had or currently have any of the above-mentioned issues, then you are advised not to use Semaglutide.
Injectible Semaglutide (Wegovy) comes in 5 different types 0.25 mg, 0.50 mg, 1 mg, 1.7 mg, and 2.4 mg. Start with a 0.25 mg dose once a week for your first month. From the second month, you can increase the dose to 0.50 mg once a week. And for the third month increase the dosage limit to 1 mg per week for a month. For the fourth month, increase the limit to 1.7 mg once a week for a month and the 5th month & onwards, you can increase the limit to 2.4 mg once a week. For more, you can visit the dosage schedule page of the company.
Oral Semaglutide (Rybelsus) comes in 3 different types 3-mg, 5-mg and 7-mg. For diabetes, it is advised to take a 3-mg dose once daily when you are starting the medication. And then later on gradually increase the limit to taking 7 mg once daily after you complete 30 days of taking the Semaglutide tablets. The dosage later can be increased to 14 mg once daily but before that, you have to complete the course of taking 7 mg once daily for at least 30 days.
For weight loss, you should consult with your doctor first and you can take the dosage of Oral Semaglutide or Rybelsus tablets as per your doctor’s prescription.
Note: You must follow the schedule as per your doctor's advice. This article is just for information and you are requested not to consider this as a piece of medical advice.
What if you miss taking your dose? Don’t worry if you missed the dose. If you remember about the missed dose within 5 days of the date of missed dose then you can take the dose. And if it has crossed the 5 days, then you should not take the missed dose. Only take the next dose on a regular dose day. Do not take double the dose for catchup.
Instead of considering the benefits of any medicine, I suggest you look for its side effects first. This way you will not save only your health but your time and money also. Semaglutide also has a list of side effects associated with its consumption. Here is the list of side effects you may or may not experience after starting to use the Semaglutide.
- Inflammation Of Your Pancreas (Pancreatitis): You may feel pain in your stomach area from your abdomen to your back. Maybe with vomiting or even without vomiting pain that doesn’t go away.
- Gallbladder Problems: Including Gallstones, fever, Jaundice, and pain in your upper stomach.
- Low Blood Sugar Levels: Symptoms like dizziness or light-headedness, blurred vision, anxiety, irritation, changes in mood, perspiration, slurred speech, hunger, confusion, or drowsiness, and shakiness, weakness, headache, fast heartbeat, or jitteriness are all symptoms to watch out for low blood sugar levels.
- Kidney Problems: Maybe there are chances you suffer diarrhoea, nausea, and vomiting. This will result in loss of fluids (dehydration) which may cause kidney problems to get worse.
- Allergic Reaction: Symptoms are swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. And problems with breathing or swallowing, rash or itching on the skin, and rapid heartbeat.
- Increased Heart Rate: Increased heart rate even when you are resting and not doing any physical work.
- Change In Vision: Patients with Type-2 Diabetes may feel the vision change.
- Mental Health Issues: Issues like frequent changes in mood and behaviour, dep[session, and suicidal thoughts.
- Common Side Effects: There are many common side effects you may or may not feel after taking Semaglutide for weight loss and these common side effects are headache, tiredness, dizziness, bloating, gas, heartburn, vomiting, diarrhoea, nausea, constipation, etc.
If you feel any of the side effects or feel uncomfortable after taking Semaglutide, then you are advised to contact your healthcare provider immediately without wasting a second.
Some Facts About Wegovy
You should know some facts about Semaglutide for weight loss AKA Wegovy before considering the medicine for use.
- It should be used with a low-calorie meal plan and increased physical activity.
- Wegovy contains semaglutide and you are advised not to use it with other semaglutide-containing products or other GLP-1 receptor agonist medicines.
- It is not yet tested or confirmed whether you can use any other weight loss supplement with Semaglutide. It may be unsafe to use or maybe not nothing has been tested and proven yet.
- No confirmation whether it is safe for people to use with a history of Pancreatitis
- No tests have been done to testify that Wegovy is safe or not for children under 18 years of age.
Storage Of Semaglutide
You should store Semaglutide in the refrigerator, not in freeze. After using it the first time, store it in the refrigerator t normal room temperature. But remember to keep it away from heat and light. After 8 weeks of first use, discard the medication. At the time of discarding do not flush the medication down the toilet. Discard the medication properly after use. Keep all your medication away from children and pets.
Cost Of Semaglutide
Here I will provide the cost for all three formats of Semaglutide Ozempic, Wegovy and Oral Semaglutide Rybelsus
- Ozempic Cost: According to Drugs.com, the cost for an Ozempic subcutaneous solution is around $949 for a supply of 1.5 millilitres. And the website also clarifies that this price is only for cash paying customers only and is not valid with insurance plans.
- Wegovy Price: According to GoodRx.com, a monthly supply of Wegovy will cost you around $1627.
- Rybelsus Price: Rybelsus oral tablet 3 mg is around $949 for a supply of 30 days.
Note: The cost of Semaglutide depends on various factors. These are not final prices, A lot of costs depend on the store you visit.
Conclusion: Semaglutide For Weight Loss
To provide you with accurate and fresh information about Semaglutide Weight Loss, I have researched a lot. I hope this article will help you with your findings. Your queries related to all the details like Semaglutide dosage, side effects, precautions, cost, etc may have been solved now after reading this article. And even if you have any queries then please feel free to ask in the comment box.
Disclaimer: Hey our beloved reader. I would like to clarify one thing, this article is purely for informational purposes. Please do not consider this as a piece of medical advice. In any manner, this article is not a piece of medical advice. You are requested to consult with your doctor before using any medication. If you buy any medicine after reading this article, then solely you are responsible for any side effects. Please consult with your doctor first.