According to research released in 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults aged 18 and over were overweight in 2016. More than 650 million adults were overweight or obese. In 2016, 39 percent of adults aged 18 and up were overweight (39 percent of men and 40 percent of women). In 2016, approximately 13% of the world’s adult population (11 percent of men and 15% of women) were obese.
If you are also suffering from weight gain or want to shed some pounds, then you too may have heard about the ketogenic or keto diet. Here we will discuss the pros and cons of the keto diet. And I will try to put my honest reviews about is the keto diet good and safe for weight loss or not.
Given the hype, a ketogenic diet may be the ideal weight-loss regimen, especially if you already have diabetes or wish to attempt this approach to shed those pesky extra pounds. After all, it’s a very low-carb food plan that claims to help you lose weight while simultaneously decreasing your blood sugar to the point where you might be able to quit taking medication. According to all accounts, the so-called “keto” diet can even cure type 2 diabetes, at least in some people.
Table Of Contents
- What Is Keto Diet?
- How does Keto Diet work?
- What Is Ketosis
- Keto Diet And Weight Loss
- Different Keto Diet Types
- Health Benefits Of the Keto Diet
- Ketogenic Diet For Diabetes
- Foods You Can Eat In Keto Diet
- Foods You Should Avoid In Keto Diet
- Keto-Friendly Snack Ideas
- Keto Helpful Tips
- Eating Out With Keto Diet
- Side Effects Of The Keto Diet
- How To Minimize Keto Flu Effects
What Is Keto Diet?
A ketogenic diet, sometimes known as a keto diet, is a low-carb, high-fat diet that has a variety of health benefits. The diet successfully makes your body used to the fat-burning process, resulting in losing weight and increasing your energy levels.
It helps in substantially lowering carbohydrate intake and substituting fat. This decrease in carbs causes your body to enter a metabolic state known as ketosis. Your body becomes very effective at burning fat for energy when this happens. It also causes fat to be converted to ketones in the liver, which can be used to provide energy to the brain.
Ketogenic diets can lower blood sugar and insulin levels significantly. This, combined with the increased ketones, offers a number of health advantages.
How does Keto Diet work?
Keto is a low-carb diet. The keto diet entails drastically lowering carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. Then you will feel that Your body is entering into a metabolic condition and that condition is known as ketosis as a result of this dietary change. Imagine your body as a car. I am saying this because it will be easy to understand why a keto diet or being in ketosis may help you burn fat more efficiently. Glucose is like gasoline for your body. Glucose is created when the food you had is broken down for energy.
Your body will be shifting from glucose to ketosis for energy. This will take time. Your body will take time to get used to it.
What Is Ketosis
Ketosis is a metabolic condition in which your body burns fat instead of carbohydrates for energy. It occurs when you drastically restrict your carbohydrate intake, decreasing your body’s availability of glucose (sugar), which is the cells’ primary source of energy. The most effective strategy to enter ketosis is to eat a ketogenic diet. This usually entails restricting carb intake to 20 to 50 grams per day and focusing on fats such as meat, fish, eggs, nuts, and healthy oils.
It’s also crucial to keep your protein intake in check. This is because if you eat too much protein, it will be turned into glucose, which will slow down your ketosis.
Intermittent fasting may also help you enter ketosis more quickly. Intermittent fasting can take numerous forms, but the most typical include restricting food consumption to roughly 8 hours each day and fasting for the remaining 16 hours. This is called the 16:8 intermittent fasting diet.
Increased thirst, dry mouth, frequent urination, and decreased hunger or appetite are some of the signs that you’ve entered ketosis.
Keto Diet And Weight Loss
The Keto diet, unlike many other diets, will not leave you hungry after you’ve consumed a pre-determined number of calories for the day. By using the keto diet you will feel more satisfied and your hunger pangs will be stopped. As a result, you may lose weight, which is something that many individuals find difficult to do with other diets.
In the keto diet, protein consumption increases are one of the reasons why keto is more efficient than low-fat diets. For your metabolic health improvement and for your weight loss protein consumption is very very important.
With the keto diet, you can lose weight without calorie counting and tracking food intake. The Keto diet is more effective for weight loss than any other low-fat dietings.
Different Keto Diet Types
- Classic Keto Diet: Classic keto is the most restrictive variant of keto, requiring a 4:1 fat-to-carbohydrate or protein ratio. This is an accurate planned, personalized regimen in which ninety percent of your calories come from your body fat. When following this weight loss diet, foods are frequently weighed.
- Modified Diet: The modified version of the diet is meant to be more flexible.
- Cyclical Keto Diet: Periods of higher-carb refeeding are included in this diet, such as 5 ketogenic days followed by 2 high-carb days.
- Targeted Keto Diet: If you are on this type of keto diet, then you can have ad some carbs around workouts.
- High Protein Keto Diet: This Keto diet includes more protein. The ratio is around 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs.
- Standard Keto Diet: This is very similar to a high-protein keto diet but with low protein levels. This low-carb, moderate protein, and high-fat diet. It usually contains 70% fat, 20% protein, and only 10% carbs.
- Intermittent Fasting: By reducing the amount of time you consume during the day, this nutritional intervention puts your body into ketosis. For example, you may only eat for 8 hours every day and fast for the remaining 16 hours. This forces the body to burn fat for energy. By reducing the amount of time you consume during the day, this nutritional intervention puts your body into ketosis. For example, you may only eat for 8 hours every day and fast for the remaining 16 hours. This enables your body to burn fat for energy.
- Custom Keto Diet: This is a specific type of diet. This is an individual 8-week weight loss meal plan. This plan is different for different people according to their height, body, and food habits. You get your special plan customized as per your favorite foods and your life routine. This keto diet helps you in losing weight in 8 weeks. Click below to watch the video.
Health Benefits Of the Keto Diet
The Keto diet helps in easy, healthy, and natural weight loss. Apart from weight loss, the keto diet has plenty of other health benefits.
- Improves Heart Health: Ketogenic Diests are helpful in reducing cholesterol levels in the blood. It also reduces body fat and blood sugar levels. These all are big risk factors for heart disease. Improving all these, it strengthens your heart health.
- Skin Improvement: Keto diets restrict your intake of proceed foods and sugar. These two are the main culprit for skin issues like acne. Being on a keto diet helps you in improving your skin health.
- Diabetes Improvement: Researchers have found that Keto can increase insulin sensitivity. An increase in insulin sensitivity reduces blood sugar levels. This is very helpful for people with Type-2 Diabetes or Prediabetes.
- Brain Injury: Various Studies conducted have found that the keto diet can help in recovery after brain injury.
- Parkinson’s Disease: Some more tests are being done but some initial research has found that ketogenic diets can help in improving Parkinson’s disease.
- Alzheimer’s Disease: Keto has been observed to slow down the symptoms & advancement of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Cancer Treatment: Many studies are currently being done for accurate results but the to-date results say that the Keto diet can slow the growth of tumors and can even help in treating cancers.
- Triglycerides Drop: This is a fat molecule that circulates in your bloodstream. High levels of these molecules can lead you to a big heart risk. The ketogenic diet reduces the levels of Triglycerides in the bloodstream.
- Increases Good Cholesterols: Higher the levels of HDL the more healthy your heart is. Ketogenic diets increase the levels of High-density lipoprotein (HDL).
- Lowers Blood Pressure: Increased blood pressure, or hypertension, is a high-risk factor for many diseases, including heart disease, stroke, and kidney failure. Low-carb diets like the Keto diet are a great way to lower blood pressure levels.
Ketogenic Diet For Diabetes
The root cause of diabetes is high blood sugar levels and impaired insulin function. Excess body fat is one of the main causes of insulin-impaired functioning. The ketogenic diet can help you in losing that excess fat. This is linked to type-2 diabetes closely.
Ketogenic diets help insulin sensitivity. A small study was done on a group of women with type-2 diabetes. In this study, the group was on the strict keto diet for straight 90 days. In these 90 days levels of hemoglobin A1C were reduced significantly in women. Hemoglobin A1C is a measure of long-term blood sugar management.
In another study, which was conducted on a group of 349 people with type-2 diabetes. These all people were following a ketogenic diet and at the end of the study, it was observed that these people lost an average of 26.2 pounds (11.9 kg) of weight.
Apart from weight loss and increased insulin sensitivity, ketogenic diets also help in improving blood sugar levels for people with diabetes.
Foods You Can Eat In Keto Diet
The Keto diet is a low-carb diet. Which improves many health factors of our body. So, if you want to follow a keto diet then you must know which foods you should eat keto diet, so you get the optimal health benefits.
- Veggies: Green Veggies, Tomatoes, Onions, Peppers, and all low-carb veggies, etc.
- Oils: Healthy oils like Avocado oil, Extra Virgin Olive oil, etc.
- Cheese: Goat, Cream, Cheddar. Mozzarella and Unprocessed Cheese, etc.
- Seeds: Flaxseed, Pumpkin Seeds, Chia Seeds, etc.
- Nuts: Walnuts, Almonds, etc.
- Meat: Red Meat, Bacon, Chicken, Turkey, etc.
- Fish: Salmon, Tuna, Trout, Mackerel. etc.
Apart from all these, you can even add Avocados, Salt, Herbs, Spices, Eggs, Grass Fed Butter, etc in your Keto Diet.
Foods You Should Avoid In Keto Diet
Adding the right food to your diet is important but removing the wrong food from your diet is more important. You must know which foods are not good and should always avoid adding these foods in your ketogenic diet.
- Alcohol: Wine, Beer, Liquor, etc.
- Fats: Processed Vegetable Oils, Mayonnaise & All Unhealthy Fats.
- Beans: Peas, Lentils, Chickpeas, etc.
- Vegetables: Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips, etc.
- Grains: Rice, Pasta, Cereal, etc.
- Sugary Foods: Fruit Juice, Soda, Candy, Cake, Ice Cream, Desserts, Sweeteners, Syrups, Candies, etc.
Apart from all these foods, you should also avoid foods like Puddings, Barbecue Sauce, Honey Mustard, Ketchup, Condiments, Salad Dressing, Low Fat Mayonnaise, etc.
Keto-Friendly Snack Ideas
Most people have often hunger cravings. And hunger cravings can ruin your plan of weight loss with keto diet. So here are your tasty and healthy keto snack ideas.
- Mini Frittatas
- Veggie Sticks With Nut Butter
- Salmon Salad
- Keto Shushi Rolls
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Bone Broth
- Keto Smoothies
- Fermented Vegetables
- Fat Bombs
- Coconut Yoghurt
- Stuffed Mushrooms, etc.
Keto Helpful Tips
Following a ketogenic diet is a bit difficult in starting days. It can be challenging for a new person but these tricks and tips will help you in your Ketogenic diet journey.
- Start with planning your food schedule in advance. This will save you time a lot.
- If you are totally beginner, then you can use a custom keto diet program. This will help you a lot. Click here to watch the free video.
- When you have some emergency or don’t have time then you can have some best-frozen keto meals.
- If it is difficult then you can also go for Keto foods delivery services.
- If you are going out then focus more on eating keto-friendly meals and if you like then you can even bring your keto food with you to your family gathering.
- Familiarise yourself with food labels. This will help you in checking the grams of fats, carbs, and fibre and you will be able to make a diet plan of your favorite foods without adding more carbs.
Eating Out With Keto Diet
This is a very common question people have when they are about to start the keto diet. You can have delicious keto diet foods at your home. You can cook or you can order it. But what if there is a family function or gathering or you have to take dinner or lunch in a restaurant? How to keep continue with your keto diet when eating out.
So, here is a solution. You have to select restaurants with keto-friendly menus. If you don’t have many ideas about keto-friendly restaurant foods then you can order some meat or fish-based dish. And instead of having high carbs food, try to eat extra vegetables. Omelets or eggs or bacon are also good alternatives to restaurants foods for the keto diet. You can even order Bun fewer Burgers.
And if you are at Mexican restaurants, you can order any type of meat with guacamole, extra cheese, salsa, and sour cream.
And the main question, for desserts? For desserts, you can have berries with cream or a mixed cheese board.
Side Effects Of The Keto Diet
Though the keto diet is good for healthy and natural weight loss and overall health improvement, it may have some side effects for some people, too. It is usually safe for most people but still, some people may feel some initial days side effects.
Side effects of a keto diet are referred to as Keto Flu. According to some reports and studies, Keto Flu gets over within a few days. Below are some symptoms mentioned of Keto Flu. If you feel any or more of these in your starting days with keto days, then you can think that you have caught keto flu. It is not dangerous and it gets over within some days.
Keto Flu Symptoms:
- Diarrhea, Constipation, and Vomiting.
- Poor energy levels.
- Poor mental focus.
- Discomfort in digestion.
- Sleep Issues.
- Increase in hunger pangs & food cravings.
How To Minimize Keto Flu Effects
Side effects of the keto diet are rare and the keto diet is almost safe for everyone. But still, if you feel any side effects of the Keto diet then you can easily minimize the effects of Keto side effects and keto flu.
To avoid or minimize the effects you should try a regular low-carb diet for the first few weeks. In this way, your body will learn to burn more fat before you shift to a total low-carb diet. Usually, for some people, ketogenic diets change the mineral and water balance in their bodies. So you can take extra mineral supplements or even can add extra salt to your diet. And for further assistance, you can even consult with your nutritionist before any diet change.
And always remember that in starting days never try to restrict your calorie consumption too much. In starting days focus on eating until you feel full. Basically, the keto diet causes weight loss without calorie restriction. So weight loss with the keto diet is not about the restriction of calorie consumption but all about eating low-carb food which helps you in faster weight loss.